Khunvyel's Bangor Plot submission

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Khunvyel's Bangor Plot submission

Post  Soifa on Mon May 27, 2013 11:47 am

Spoiler:
Now that the entire situation with the Council has settled and everything is back in working order, I feel comfortable to finally forward this after being deployed as City Leader of Bangor ages ago.

First I'd like to pick up something from my Bangor topic in the Plotter's Playhouse. My assumption has been that Bangor was self-administered in the absence of a City Leader due to its small size, but people corrected me on that because they couldn't think of this being the case. I yielded for the lack of knowing better and put this as part of Dhinesbeth's Bio as she was working closely with the current administrator to learn the ins and outs of the town.
As I talked to the NPCs in order to gain more knowledge of what can be weaved into the plot, I stumbled upon information that contradicts this. They actually tell you that there is no Chief of town and that the entire town just kept things rolling on their own. I'd like to have a final decision about the administrative state of Bangor in the absence of a City Leader. If it remains as said, then I believe that it is the same case for every other city as well, thus there has to be a mention somewhere in the future of this change in Canon (like the Generation quests etc.). If not, and we roll with Canon of Bangor being self administered, I have to change the Bio of Dhinesbeth a little, noting that she would spend a lot of time with the "respected persons and individuals people are looking up to" like Edern and Gilmore to get to know the town through them.
Please decide about this and tell me the outcome, because this is also important should I have to step down from city leadership due to unexpected circumstances.

Now, the plot! I have not written everything in detail, this is just a crude overview and base skeleton for you to validate. If you need more information, just ask Smile But before finally delving into the read, here is a little disclaimer I find important for you to notice:
You might ask yourself when reading the plot, what made me believe that I would ever be allowed to instigate such changes? Well, actually, I base this off from the fact that RPS itself did alterations to the Canon of the game which have to be generally accepted, but need to be imagined by everyone for the lack of ingame representation. In game-lore, there is nothing that prohibit Milletians from fleeing through forced death and rebirth or jail cells that drain Mana. There are no special prisons for Milletians in the game-lore in every town, and actually I don't think that EACH town has a prison to begin with. I might be wrong, but I haven't come across a single facility remotely close to a prison. Bangor doesn't even have guards as NPCs in the game, neither has Tir Chonaill or Dunbarton or Port Cobh. Not even Emain Macha has Guards at the front gates, only those in front of the Castle. Yet there exists an abundance of guards in every City Topic, and this fact has to be accepted by every player.
I say this in order to prevent the argument of "you cannot do something that cannot be represented in game", because that is what RPS already did, so I am going to have a hard time accepting such a general "no, you just can't change stuff" to the chains of events listed below with the aforementioned reason.
Furthermore, we all know this is just an abstract of a world, I bet nobody thinks that any town could survive on its own as it is represented there Very Happy But now, without any further ado, here you go!

The pre-events
These events do not have a drastic impact on the game world and can be easily weaved in through guild bulletin, etc.

1. Hiring an independent prospector team to evaluate the worth of the mines in Bangor, as well as probing the surrounding area for new findings. If Tara does not agree to fund this project, Dhinesbeth will pay it out her own pocket. Yes, that means I will destroy an abstract of the money required to hire this group in the presence of council witnesses (plural) OR paying it into the guild bank as RP fee. The team must not be players, they can be NPCs and the results seeded by the council. It would then just serve as a narrative event going on.

2. Funding a shrine for Bangor, commending Comgan and encouraging Bangor to live up to its hidden spiritual nature in the process. Would destroy/donate an abstract of money required to fund the shrine, and/or bring a set of fitting items which can then be destroyed. Stone, marble, gold, silver, etc. Trade goods purchased with ducats would be abandoned in the sight of council witnesses.

3. Establishing primary services currently missing in Bangor (Healer, Carpenter, Clothing shop).
    This will be done by using a bulletin, to which players can respond by creating a NPC for this purpose or interacting otherwise with their PCs, and perhaps the council can be seeding the one or the other NPC after a certain time, if the arguments and efforts are high enough. In this case, Dhinesbeth will send messages to the other city leaders, perhaps even asking for a personal audience, to fetch the allowance for a courier of Bangor to tack notes on the respective boards, spreading the word beyond Bangor influence.
    The mainstream NPCs of Bangor have interests in a Healer and Clothing shop. Riocard himself said he would have picked up healer skills if he knew there was a healer missing. Bryce and Sion will certainly sleep better, knowing that a Healer is around to care for Ibbie. Edern mentions one should be careful to not get hurt due to the absence of a healer. Elen and Jennifer are unhappy with the lack of a clothing shop and the lacking sense of fashion that Gilmore has.

4. Setting up trade agreements and jobs to support the newly established primary services. Base material or processed fabric and thread, wood and herbs needs to arrive.
    Exclusive deals for spare parts for looms and spinning wheels, as well as gathering knifes to be sold cheaper to those who are filling the quotas for Bangor. The Healer should be self sustaining, since the town will certainly appreciate the services of an in-house healer, and everyone venturing into Barri in order to battle the fomors will like it that they can stock up right at the front door. The Carpenter is also responsible to create a wider variety of ranged weapons and will also help people have it a little more comfy in their homes. The clothing shop will provide a wider variety of goods, and will work to reduce the prejudiced feel of a "dirty, abandoned mining town". People want to feel clean, nice and special (( Considering Walter and Malcolm, I view the outfits provided by the general store as more work oriented, while clothing shop is more casual and fashion, and this would be the split done in Bangor too )).

5. Introducing secondary services (Weaponshop, Inn, Grocery Store). The pub will be improved to hold the Inn, the grocery store will provide the crux to deliver better quality food, the Weaponshop will provide more profitable to sell the stuff created by blacksmith and carpenter, instead of the respective shops selling them. This gives those people more time for their work as they do not need to tend their wares for selling. Players can respond accordingly with NPCs or PCs.
    The Mainstream NPCs of Bangor itself have interest in an Inn and a Grocery store. Jennifer wants to start an Inn so badly, and it is mentioned that the Pub was originally a Grocery Store anyways. Elen, who currently holds the Blacksmith "Weaponshop" can either step down and improve her trade (because 90% repair rate is crap! Very Happy ) or focus more to learn who to sell things better.

The real plot starts here:
If all the pre-events go by successfully, it means that the town received some kind of growth and word has spread on a positive level. This sets the stage for bigger events that will be more active, daring and involving. To further improve the state of the town it has to be modelled more appealing and also requires more inhabitants. Ultimately to have a more important place in the world than "that old mining town". The following points must not happen in the order of appearance, and these "Sets" can happen simultaneously.

#) Commercializing the term of "Uladh Steel", starting to make a statement about homegrown ore industry, criticising the way how metal is brought in cheap from Iria with no way of quality control.
    #) Bringing to the table how the metal from Iria should be priced with higher customs and even be limited to import, considering how easy and risk free it can be grabbed.
    #) Debasing any accusations of wanting to control the metal market in favor for Bangor by saying that Iria is a new, thriving continent and it should not be taken away its foundations by greedy gatherers depleting all natural resources and hampering the forthcoming of future nations overseas.

#) Creating a brand that is Bangor exclusive when exporting items, to show people across all of Uladh that certain items come from there, especially those that have not been forged on the anvil.
    #) This should instill the awareness that Bangor is not just a shabby town but is well capable to keep up with the goods and services of every other town.
    #) Having this kind of label, it serves as a passive advertisement that could very well attract craftsman and general population to go and settle in Bangor.

#) Send out prospector teams to check for the current state of quarries, as well as checking for possible new ones.
    #) Furthering improving life in Bangor by building new houses and renovate old ones with fresh stones.
    #) Increasing fortification, which in turn requires more guards, which in turn requires more houses for them to live in. This improves the feeling of being secure, making it more lucrative for more people to come in, which in turn again results in more growth.
    #) After a certain population, it can be taken into consideration to upgrade the shrine to a church / build a church somewhere with more space.

#) In an attempt to make the town more lively, several endeavors are set in motion to provide diversity.
    #) More entertainment has to be brought in through other areas of the kingdom. So deals and agreements with such companies and groups need to be made. This is required in order to keep the town population satisfied.
    #) The travelers to Port Ceann have been important for Bangor in the past, but after it got wasted, this lack of traffic has damaged Bangor. In order to get this up again, Port Ceann needs to be reinvented. It is free of dangerous enemies, the harbour still more or less intact, and the beach is actually not that shabby. A little effort goes a long way to set up a sailing-boat-for-rent area, and have a relaxing place at the beach. More higher-class establishments of entertainment and spa can possibly be set up. The higher the quality for life is in Bangor, the wealthier the travellers might be to come over there, the better the sales. Considering it is the only real free and accessible beach in Uladh, it will be easier to get there in comparison to other beaches of Erinn.

Things that don't fit in a set but can be used at several instances:
    #) Working with Puppetmasters and Alchemists in order to have Colossus Marionettes and Golems ready to do some heavy labour, to get things done faster.
    #) Trying to lure Alchemist researchers in order to find new and potent alloys and refining processes to increase the value and prestige of Bangor.

Tl;dr = Dhinesbeth wants to restore Bangor to the flourishing industrial city it once was before the Fomor clans rushed over to destroy it when they waged war all over Uladh.

As you can see, the plot is longwinded and stretchy enough to span months and months, and due to the modular setup it is easy to tweak. There is no rush to push the next step live as soon as possible. As you can also see, every part can easily involve multiple people and incite more chains of events that are created by other players to take part in this. In a positive or a negative fashion. I hope you see the same thing I do, which is tons of possible interactions on so many levels with so many things Smile

Why do people think they have to burn real money to spend IC money? ._.
Soifa
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Khunvyel's Bangor Plot submission

Post  Dalvar on Mon May 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Soifa wrote:Why do people think they have to burn real money to spend IC money? ._.
I keep telling him he doesn't have to.
.-.

Councilor
Councilor

View user profile http://Dalvar.Deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soifa on Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 am

As I talked to the NPCs in order to gain more knowledge of what can be weaved into the plot, I stumbled upon information that contradicts this. They actually tell you that there is no Chief of town and that the entire town just kept things rolling on their own. I'd like to have a final decision about the administrative state of Bangor in the absence of a City Leader. If it remains as said, then I believe that it is the same case for every other city as well, thus there has to be a mention somewhere in the future of this change in Canon (like the Generation quests etc.). If not, and we roll with Canon of Bangor being self administered, I have to change the Bio of Dhinesbeth a little, noting that she would spend a lot of time with the "respected persons and individuals people are looking up to" like Edern and Gilmore to get to know the town through them.
Please decide about this and tell me the outcome, because this is also important should I have to step down from city leadership due to unexpected circumstances.

So, are we going to agree that Bangor is self administered, or..at least...WAS?

Also, all NPCs are on vacation or something, right, so do we have him just change all the interactions with the main NPCs to 'generic NPCs of the town', or can he interact with them for this?
Soifa
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek on Thu May 30, 2013 3:02 pm

I disagree. It wouldn't make sense to have Bangor self administered since they would have no representative in Tara's court.
And if we are going straight Canon, then Bangor answers to Emain Macha.

Secondly, yes, let him know that. Specially after we implement the whole 20years thing, not telling what could happen.
Xeek
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soifa on Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Xeek wrote:I disagree. It wouldn't make sense to have Bangor self administered since they would have no representative in Tara's court.
And if we are going straight Canon, then Bangor answers to Emain Macha.

Secondly, yes, let him know that. Specially after we implement the whole 20years thing, not telling what could happen.

Well
"Our middle ground solution is kind of 'officializing' what some of us have done in the past. Primarily, whenever someone wants to find / talk to an established NPC, they're often 'out' for some odd reason. This would apply to normal RPs on a daily basis.

For plot based stories, we can define roles of specific NPCs, like soldiers and guards, but they -must- survive the encounters they are in."

They're not DEAD, just always 'gone' at the time.

I think the thing is...Do we care if Someone'sInTheKitchenWithDhinesbeth interacts with major NPCs? Since Khunvyel IS the bangor CL, I don't mind, as long as he's not making Comgan punch people in the face or something weird.
Soifa
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalvar on Fri May 31, 2013 3:02 pm

I always thought the CLs were the only ones who could use the actual NPCs.

Councilor
Councilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek on Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 pm

I mean.. it wouldn't be bad if a CL does it...
but we can't have a 20 year timeskip AND keep NPCs as they are..

I never said they were dead XD

But, yeah, it's not a big deal if he does, I just prefer they were on vacation for everyone.
Xeek
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soifa on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:19 am

Well, I don't see it as too bothersome for his small plot.

Really, what I'm seeing is a lot of IC bulletins incoming for adding things like..a large IC inn and whatnot, and services not available OOC that people DO put in their towns(inns and whatnot, various stuff). So the pre-event section is fine by me. The other stuff is..also fine? I mean, they're not MONOPOLIZING an industry or anything, they're just trying to improve trade and stop sucking at being a mining town(at least IC).

An IC spa/resort thing on Ceann sounds pretty awesome. We should get an alt with a high level homestead to make it as pretty as Rayleight used to have his and use that as a resort 8I

Soifa
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalvar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 am

So, uh
Is someone going to give him the OK, or?

Councilor
Councilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 am

I figured someone else would? Considering my relationship with him isn't fantastic.
Beside, while I figured you were okay with it, I would more rather a stated approval.
Xeek
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soifa on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

..well..yeah...you should post an official approval. 

I mean, here's mine. I approve!

But I'll let him know.
Soifa
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top