Merokin's Fey Tweaks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Merokin's Fey Tweaks

Post  Merokin on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Okay. So.

Merokin

Merokin is an Earth and Dark Fey Child, so she has power over Earth and Darkness. Meaning she can call the powers OF Earth and Darkness to be used at her disposal.

In the case of earth, is could be just about anything from making a giant tree grow in the middle of Dunbarton, to trapping a pesky person in stone vines, to something as simple as making the flowers grow. The way I really describe it is as a 'flash of green' before the wonderousness of nature, so the way I figure is using that handy handy Arrow Shield spell and making the rest of you use your imaginations should do the trick. Her creations aren't IMPOSSIBLE to break, just really freaking hard to. That's not all the time though. If she's tired or weakened or anything else, the power of the creations are significantly weakened. If she angry or fueled by anything more than usual, it's multiplied.

Now for Darkness, the most stereotypical of all powers ever known to RP-kind. Mero's Fey abilities are kind of like Yin and Yang. While the nature and nurture side of her happily gives life, the death and darkness side of her takes it away. This is not to say she could go PEWPEWPEWHAHAURDEAD on anyone. Because that would be godmodding, and godmodding makes sadfaces. It's more along the lines of, once she gives something life she can take it away. If she makes a flower grow, she can make it wither. If she turns the desert into a forest, she can dry it right back up.

Her eyes flash green sometimes when she uses Earth powers.

Also, she has wings but that's only mentioned every now and then--like when I'm introducing her.

Fear the Faeries?
Merokin
Kandy Korn Ogre
Kandy Korn Ogre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Merokin's Fey Tweaks

Post  Kalamiko on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:16 am

Fear the Faeries, yes.
Fear the Faeries.
Kalamiko
Kosher Dill Troll
Kosher Dill Troll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Veleth on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 am

So much godmoding to be seen in this. I'll post a listing of my official refusal for this when I'm more awake.
Veleth
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Veleth on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:20 am

Merokin wrote:[b]Okay. So.

Merokin

Merokin is an Earth and Dark Fey Child, so she has power over Earth and Darkness. Meaning she can call the powers OF Earth and Darkness to be used at her disposal.

In the case of earth, is could be just about anything from making a giant tree grow in the middle of Dunbarton, to trapping a pesky person in stone vines.... <--These would be godmoding.

Now for Darkness, the most stereotypical of all powers ever known to RP-kind. Mero's Fey abilities are kind of like Yin and Yang. While the nature and nurture side of her happily gives life, the death and darkness side of her takes it away. This is not to say she could go PEWPEWPEWHAHAURDEAD on anyone. Because that would be godmodding, and godmodding makes sadfaces. It's more along the lines of, once she gives something life she can take it away. If she makes a flower grow, she can make it wither. If she turns the desert into a forest, she can dry it right back up.
b]

You don't explain the 'Darkness' powers. As well, destroying a forest... so... you're giving her the ability to go into Filia and make it a forest again or go to Karu forest and turn it into a desert? Sorry. Refused. Despite your 'this isn't godmoding' claim, it is what you deny it to be.
Veleth
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Honeko on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 am

Also I would like to see an example of a fae of any kind that is actually in Mabinogi the game. Sprites do not work the way that you are saying that faes do.
Honeko
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

View user profile http://jaeeleutheria.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 am

I also give my stamp of refusal, and I would like to mention. Full control over any element or landscape re-arranging are god-like-skills.
Xeek
Retired
Retired

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dellinger on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am

Fey and Fae are different...
If you're gunning for the Faerie folk, you've got it wrong.
And based on background I can't approve.

You don't explain your powers well enough,
or at least well enough that you aren't 'god-modding' and getting absolute control over said elements,
which, again, would result in god-modding.

I'd advise looking over the rules that were placed in this forum for a reason
and rewrite your powers application in a new post, not editted,
so that you might get approval.

::Edit::

And if the Fae do something tricksie, their eyes don't flash...
Dellinger
Dragon
Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Merokin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm going to take this moment to take a deep, calming breathe and mention that my interpretation for the Fey is pure imagination. Which I never thought would be a problem in a Roleplaying Guild.

I'm also going to try and find a way to explain Merokin's powers without doing it wrong so I don't get figuratively shot in the foot. Again.
Merokin
Kandy Korn Ogre
Kandy Korn Ogre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Honeko on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm

There is nothing wrong with pure imagination, but we are in someone else's world, not our own, and therefore are roleplaying within the confines of this world. Anything we roleplay here should fit in the world provided.

Perhaps you should try to explain to us how these powers are not godmodding before going any further?
Honeko
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Captincrunch on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Poor poor Mero *pets*

You have it harder than most since you are a very creative writer.
One of the hardest things for any writer is write in someone else's world and not [censored] er, I mean, not get the editors on your case.

It's like being given a full set of oil paints and brushes and then given a paint-by-number velvet canvas of Elvis and told to paint within the lines.

The challenge for you my dear is to figure out what lines you are stuck with and which ones you can add some artistry to. Wink
Captincrunch
Dragon
Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Merokin on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Cap, I love you sometimes. ; w;

Not godmodding. Okay. Well, obviously I have a bit of a different interpretation to godmodding than everyone else here, considering that in my three years of internet experience godmodding has always been something along the lines of making your character SPARKLING and INVINCIBLE and BORN WITH THE POWER TO DESTROY ALL MANKIND and the ability to puke rainbows and whatnot. Obviously it's a little different here. I'm going to try to address this ONE BY ONE.

Galin: AHAHAno. She could not turn Karu into a desert, so you and your clan of bloodthirsty rabbits are safe (? I have no idea where that came from). The 'Darkness' powers are only there to counteract her Earth powers and keep them in check. I'm trying to think of an example. It's like... If you're making a bonfire in the forest, you're going to have a freaking hose nearby in case everything goes ABLAZE, aren't you? It KEEPS her from turning Filia into a forest--which she most likely wouldn't do anyways because the forest would die and it would be really energy consuming to maintain or even create in the first place. In fact, now that I think of it, that was a really crappy example in my main post because she prolly doesn't have enough power as a Half-Fey to do that in the first place. This is why I hate thinking at night, it never works.

And fineeee. I'll keep my trees to the forest and my vines just extremely flexible.

Honeko: (1)...? When did I say she was a sprite?

Xeek: Not full control, JUST covered this in the obnoxiously sized paragraph above. As for landscape rearranging, I just shot that with my own double barrel, so no worries. I still would like to make the occasional flower grow, though.

Dellinger: No offense, but your first two sentences had me near profanities. So I'm going to attack that first. As I said before, my interpretation of the Fey is completely imaginative (I think? I don't stalk your library card though.) but extensive enough to explain. In another topic, because I still need to make that new biography that I started last night--thought better of because it was night and anything I type then turns out as ARGLE BARGLE due to my wonked up sleeping schedule--and scrapped last night. So give me a few hours on that and I'll freaking MAKE the Feywood fit into Erinn, even if I have to squeeze it in the Dunbarton library.

As for the rest of the comment, I think I hear an echo in here. Either that or repetition was the Advanced Play item of the day. Sorry sorry, but my snippyness needed an outlet and that one seemed the least deadly of all my other, more profane options. Either way, I already covered most of what you just said (see above). And sure, maybe it's doesn't happen with YOUR Fae, but it happens with my Fey.

Honeko: (2) You say that but... Oh shoot, I thought I put that in the post. This one's my fault again then. The Feywood, like Tir Na Nog, is in a different world. You see where I'm going with this? Yes? No? Maybe? Since different worlds seem to fit into this world, I figured it would be fine to add one of my own--The Feywood.

Did I miss anything? I really don't want to have missed anything.
Merokin
Kandy Korn Ogre
Kandy Korn Ogre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Veleth on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Last edited by Galin on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veleth
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Honeko on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Different worlds seem to fit into this one because Nao plucks people from their worlds and bring them here in a new body to start anew. The Shadow Realm and Another World are not included in this (and if you've done G3 you would know where Tir Na Nog really is). Please tell us how the Feywood would actually fit in this one then?

I think you've missed the entire point of our questions. And honestly attacking our questions as well as the people asking the questions does not serve your purpose.
Honeko
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Dellinger on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:45 pm

*sighs* As well, considering the 'Fae' are celtic lore, it would probably be easier to follow that,
but, considering you want to use something else and attempt to force it in, be my guest.

If you need someone to yell at, next time remember to read the rules about etiquette and 'not taking things personally.'
Maybe if you actually read them, you probably would have decided lashing out was a bad idea. Here's proof you didn't read them.

-Do not insult or get angry at people for disapproving of your proposal. People have good reasons to do what they do, so listen to their comments and attempt to understand and accommodate.
-Keep in mind the Role Played abilities of your character, especially from other player's points of view. {{God-trapping someone in a tree, as we've been told occured with you, does not add to the RP, it forces your RP onto others}}
-Overall, keep in mind your character’s Role Playing ability and attempt to be creative. However, be creative and think your character out before posting. Councilors and Mentors reserve the right to disapprove that which has not been justified, has been justified inadequately, or has violated the terms set above. Do not take offense if a disapproval is issued. {{Keep in mind this as you criticize the people approving your power, and the fact that your justifications are wanting and you won't answer questions people ask fully, I'd recommend holding your tongue next time you post}}

As well, go read what 'needs to be there', considering it states actual 'lore' will assist.
My 'Fae' advice actually would've assisted in that matter, but if you'd rather ignore it, that's fine.

Have a good one.
Again, make sure you read the application process for powers this time, as you ignored at least the etiquette bit.

Last edited by Dellinger on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dellinger
Dragon
Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalvar on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Ooookay. As a request, can you not put your posts in bold, Mero? Because when you do it sounds like you are saying everything in a loud, emphasizing, voice and that is a strain to read.

I would like to know what, exactly "darkness" powers are and how you would represent them in game.
The same goes for "earth" powers.
All powers here, if you would read the rules, need some way to be depicted within the game.

And did I just hear you say you were going to make a new part of Erinn?
That is bad. Work with what you have.

Councilor
Councilor

View user profile http://Dalvar.Deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Captincrunch on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Mero, from what I have been reading, you may have been mixing what your character was able to do back home and what she can do in Erinn.
Unfortunately the two are not interchangeable when it comes to game mechanics and who does what in Erinn by way of the locals like imps, goblins, elves and such.

May I suggest breaking it into two parts to make it easier on you and on those reviewing your powers of creativity.

The first is what powers and abilities she had back home and how she used them
- this will give free rein to your creativity for powers and places and some such.

The second part would be what she can still do in Erinn
- here you add subtext on what game effects you use to simulate the power/effect
- Anything that doesn't have a game equivalent but is flavor for RP interaction can be explained as such here as well

Now on with my own - OMGBBQQ -
The concepts for your powers are creative but the things that people alarms wailing are some of the examples you gave.
Captincrunch
Dragon
Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalvar on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm

It seems we are waiting on Mero, here.
How often does she check the forums?

Councilor
Councilor

View user profile http://Dalvar.Deviantart.com